This coming Sunday you can bend, stretch and contort into yoga poses in Denver’s Great Outdoors. Yoga Rocks the Park is kicking off it’s 4th season at the Sunken Gardens at 9:30 a.m. while the birds are still chirping. Yoga Rocks the Park is scheduled at various Denver parks through September 16. Each week a different musician accompanies the yoga practice as well as a new teacher.
The creator of Yoga Rocks the Park, Erik Vienneau, calls outdoor yoga a grassroots movement. When he started the program four years ago he wasn’t sure that anyone would show up. “I was amazed to see people walking towards me with yoga mats ,” says Vienneau. About thirty people showed up for the first event. Now, numbers reach into the hundreds.
“It feeds the need. It’s bigger than yoga. People are here to connect.” reveals Vienneau.
5 reasons to give outdoor yoga a go.
1. It will invigorate your practice and shake you from a routine studio.
2. Outdoor classes add a new dimension by bringing yoga back to it’s original link with nature.
3. Find inspiration in the outdoors by focusing awareness, breathing deeply and practicing stillness.
4. Learn to embrace rather than battle the elements. A little cool wind can bring stamina, the warmth of the sun may allow you to deepen poses and wavering grass could bring focus.
5. A portion of the net revenue is donated to Colorado based, non profit Yoga World Reach. The program offers yoga as an alternative therapy to people around the globe.